Union Government has launched a lot of schemes for the people out of which Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana Scheme which is beneficial for the families who are below the poverty line so for the clean cooking fuel provision. It was launched in the month of May 2016, and its tagline is ‘Swachh Indhan, Behtar Jeevan.’ This helps to provide clean-cooking fuel to the households who are poor so that they can prevent the health hazards which are related to the indoor air pollution. This will help in the qualitative changes in the standard of living.
Also Read : Sampoorna Grameen Rozgar Yojana
Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana Scheme aims to provide clean fuel to the poor households who are below the poverty line. Such poor households use the dirty cooking fuels which are very harmful, and that should be replaced with the LPG. This scheme aims to provide five crores LPG (Liquefied Petroleum Gas) connections who are below the poverty line. The following are the objectives of Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana Scheme :-
- Empowering the women and protection of their health.
- Reducing the health issues which is because of the fossil fuels used for the cooking.
- Curbing the casualties which occur because of the dirty fuels which are used for the cooking.
- To control the respiratory issues which occur because of the indoor pollution which is caused because of the fuels that do not burn properly.
- To prevent the environment degradation.
Only those are eligible for Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana Scheme who will meet the eligibility criteria given below:-
- The applicant should be of minimum 18 years of age and should be an Indian citizen.
- The one should belong to a BPL household (below poverty line).
- In the applicant’s household, no one should have the LPG connection.
- Even the income of the family should not exceed the limit which is defined by the government of the state and UT’s.
- The applicant’s name should be in the SECC-2011, and it must match with information in the below poverty line databases which oil marketing companies also have.
- Then the applicant should not be even a beneficiary of the other schemes launched by the government.
Around 9.51 lakh LPG connections have been provided to the BPL households across 11 states issues under the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana Scheme. This is provided for the rural population welfare. The main aim of this scheme is to curb the inefficient and unhealthy cooking methods used by poor households. This scheme rolled out mostly in Uttar Pradesh where around 34 lakh LPG cylinders have been distributed. All those whose income is less than Rs.131 fall in this category as these families live in very poor categories, so it becomes the responsibility of the government to provide all such facilities to them.
The applicants require BPL ration card and an authorized BPL certificate by Panchayat Pradhan/ Municipality Chairman, Driving license, passport size photograph, any utility bill, LIC policy.
Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana Scheme is beneficial for Poor BPL households.